Strike a Light – Arts & Heritage are pleased to be hosting two placement students who are studying for an MA in Cultural and Creative Industries at the University of Sussex. We host students from this course, and from other universities, every year and we can also offer placements on projects to undergraduate students.
Placements usually last from 6-8 weeks and involve learning about all aspects of engaging with a creative and cultural SME to help set students up in their chosen career path, try new activities and understand how to apply theoretical and academic work in a practical way!
I found it quite enjoyable to work with a community interest company. During the placement, I’ve been working to support the projects for the elder and the youth. Getting engaged in the programming and operation process of projects using the skills and the knowledge I’ve learned from class makes me feel proud of myself.
Strike A Light – Arts & Heritage creatively explores heritage through life stories, project themes and local memories with diverse audiences. And the people I am working with are friendly and willing help. Do become an volunteer and help the groups in your community!Candice (Yu)
It was totally awesome experience to be a volunteer in Strike A Light Art & Heritage company, it is a fantastic group! There are many people who have an interest in social activities with warm heart, but you might not really understand what it is like to engage in it and how fantastic activities operates. Maybe you are curious about the work of art organisation, then, come and be a volunteer at a Strike A Light! Here you can get in touch with a lot of new and interesting things, very friendly and professional manager. Maybe it will make you fall in love with art from now on, and it will benefit for the rest of your life.Eve (Sibo)
Strike a Light offers placements for students from colleges and universities every year. We offer access to conferences, professional networking opportunities, working in small organisations, meeting other professionals as well as supporting project activities in the field.
We support placement students to undertake the following in Continued Professional Development whilst engaging with Strike a Light as an intern:
- Regular attendance and meetings with Strike a Light’s team online
- Learning how to use Canva software to create ongoing social media and marketing content for the company.
- Developing regular content on LATER to support marketing and PR for Strike a Light – Arts & Heritage
- Creating posters for activity and training promotion
- Aiding facilitators on arts and heritage activities on funded projects in Brighton & Hove
- Creating resources for the Rise & View Krew children’s’ holiday club project
- Taking photos of Strike a Light’s activities for promotional purposes.
- Creating a series of Facebook header images to allow new content to be promoted within the company.
- Attending training for new projects.
- Learning about website development to support Strike a Light’s website content.
- Setting up a WordPress blog to chronicle placement experience during this internship with regular postings
- Setting up new Drobox/Google Drive folders with usable content for the company.
Researchers will receive support and training to:
- Use The Keep archive and other research facilities in Sussex
- Support reminiscence activities
- Attend virtual events related to particular projects
- Use new software such as CANVA and LATER
- Copy and write up the material gathered so that it can be used by various projects and on our website
- Desire to learn new skills and think creatively about material in archives
- Persistence – to find information
- An interest in local history
- A positive and imaginative approach to volunteering
- Good interpersonal and team working skills
- An open mind to new ways of working
We require a CV and depending on the role, a DBS safeguarding check.