Ale and Hearty History Project
Volunteer Roles: Reminiscence Facilitator
Strike a Light is a not for profit community arts organisation, based in Sussex, that uses peoples life stories and memories to engage a wide range of groups in creative and heritage activities, and making art to transform public and private spaces.
The ‘Ale and Hearty’ Project will encourage engagement, learning and enjoyment in the diverse brewing history of Lewes, and its legacy, through interactive creative heritage activities and exhibitions, enriching the lives of people in East Sussex through shared historical appreciation. It will work in partnership with East Sussex County Council, Lewes District Council, U3A, Harvey’s Brewery, local schools and community groups.
The engagement of new audiences will be through oral history testimonies, creative workshops using archive material, reminiscence sessions, a photography exhibition and performance.
The Reminiscence Facilitators will play a central role in this project, setting up (with project manager support) and facilitating up to 10 weeks of activities in Cooksbridge and Ringmer from May- August 2013.. Following free training, the interviewers will:
- Travel to Cooksbridge/Halland to facilitate a reminiscence group of older people about rural and local life (with relation to the project theme).
- Ensure that the consent forms are signed by each participant
- Deliver activities each week for ten weeks
- Take photos of the sessions
- Record any key related memories, which will then be included in the photo exhibition.
- Scan photos where necessary.
A willingness to:
- Learn new skills
- Listen to other people’s stories without judgement
- Work with a wide range of different people
- An interest in local history
- Excellent communication skills
- A positive and imaginative approach to volunteering
- Good interpersonal and team working skills
Training will be provided by the Ale and Hearty Project Manager, in:
- Aims and Objectives
- Facilitating reminiscence groups
- Creating plans of activities