Strike a Light just received some info about this interesting new project in the Hastings area. They’re looking for folk to get involved with their oral history project. A great way to learn new skills and work on a project of social importance and heritage.
Volunteer Role Description: Oral History Project
An exciting opportunity to work with Hastings and Rother Rainbow Alliance, an established community group, to develop the History Project element of their work to record and promote hidden and marginalised voices from the LGB&T community.
You will work alongside the HRRA Committee and History Project volunteers to manage and develop the History Project. This will include:
- Promoting participation in project by volunteers and interviewees
- Undertaking oral history recording alongside other trained volunteers
- Overseeing and undertaking transcription of oral history interviews
- Liaising with the The Keep (historical resource centre in Falmer) regarding deposit of interviews and transcriptions
- Applying for funding for development of the project – exhibitions, publications etc
Experience, skills and qualities required
- In depth knowledge of LGB&T community
- Interest in oral and community history
- Oral history recording experience (desirable)
- IT skills (desirable)
- Induction meeting with HRRA Committee
- Induction with previous History Project volunteer leads
You will report to a specific HRRA Committee member.
Home based – computer and internet connection required.
Estimated at 2-4 hours work per week, which can be undertaken flexibly.
Initial 3 month trial period, then minimum 12 months commitment.
Expenses incurred will be refunded e.g. training, travel. Approval of all expenditure to be given in advance by HRRA Committee.
For more information and to apply contact email@example.com or call 07824 597378 and speak to Abi Luthmann (ex-HRRA Committee member and History Project co-lead)